Sunday, May 6, 2012

Welcoming Ryleah.

This weekend I celebrated the upcoming arrival of baby Ryleah at my good friend Katrina Comer's shower.  I met her something like 20 years ago when I became friends with her older sister Leah.  I met Leah in the 3rd grade and had a rocky relationship until we were in 7th, but from then on we were besties.  We got into a lot of trouble as kids (sorry mom!), experienced all of our "firsts" together, and had so.much.damn.fun.  She had a personality that was quirky and caring so every person that met her quickly fell in love with her.  I sadly lost Leah to cancer in 2002 when we were just 20 years old.  Today, I am still close with her family and am so grateful to be able to share in milestones with her sisters like our marriages and the birth of our children.  I so much look forward to these special events because it gives me the opportunity to see her family which always brings back a flood of emotions and memories that usually get lost in the daily buzz of thoughts running through my head at any given minute.  During these events I am mentally forced to sit back and think about Leah, grieve over her absence, and secretly laugh at our ridiculous inside jokes.  Losing Leah was the most devastating thing I have gone through, but I am comforted in knowing that I am able to watch her family grow and have the opportunity to reminisce with other people who also cared so deeply for her. 

The day of the shower turned out to be one of Washington's famous (but rare) sun shining days.  The venue was perfect, the wine was flowing, and the women were happy.  As an event planner I always have my eyes open for new ideas, and I got a few today. One of my fave was for each guest to open a gift that was not theirs and explain how they knew Katrina as well as provide a piece of advice on mothering a girl (she already has a 2 year old boy).   I've noticed that sometimes boredom creeps up on guests during gift opening, so this is a way to be interactive and keep the party lively.  We spent the afternoon playing games, making baby headbands, drinking wine and mingling.  It was what a shower should be. 

I brought Bronson with me to introduce him to the family and I think he enjoyed himself as much as I did.  He spent the day crawling around chasing balloon strings and flirting with all the pretty girls.  The shower ended with the mamma-to-be releasing a bouquet of silver and pink balloons into the sky with wishes from the guests for Ryleah attached.  My personal wish for this little girl is that she always realize her self worth.  When a woman realizes her worth she is unstoppable.  If this little girl is anything like the other women in her family then I know she won't have a problem with this one! 
 
What I learned today is that I have been very lucky in friendship.  I have lost many friends in my life whether it be to death or conflict, but each and every one of them made a lasting impression on my heart.  During my times of self-pity over my losses I will remind myself that I was lucky enough to have something to lose in the first place.

xoxo,
Me.













2 comments:

  1. Great post. I love the balloon idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The balloon idea was really fabulous. The whole shower was amazing.

      Delete